Shaping the future of sustainable development
At The Biodiversity Consultancy we know it's the people who make the difference.
We are environmental specialists, data scientists and sustainability experts who are changing how the business, finance and policy world sees and interacts with nature. We recognise the scale of the challenge we face, but it’s our purpose and passion that brings us together to challenge conventional thinking, transform systems of unsustainable practices and provide the means for organisations to drive their own positive actions for nature. We are a small team with a big mission to transform the nature of business.
A career with us is not just a chance to work on the frontier of ecologically sustainable development, or work with world leaders in conservation and science-based approaches, but a responsibility to see the gaps and create innovative solutions that shape the future of business, policy and practice.
We want to work with those who share our vision, and we work hard to create a diverse, inclusive, supportive and energetic environment for our team to realise their potential and for TBC to realise its goal of integrating nature into everyday business decision-making.
Legal Counsel – Part time
Part time 22.5 hours per week – Cambridge based.
£63,000 - £70,000 FTE
The Biodiversity Consultancy is looking for a capable, highly organised and motivated Legal Counsel to support our projects, consultants and day-to-day running of our business. We are a thriving international nature consultancy with an international team, projects and client base. This role is an opportunity to join a dynamic and growing business at a pivotal time in our journey.
You will provide legal advice and support across operations, IT, HR, communications and finance. Located at our office in Cambridge, with the potential for some home-working, the successful candidate will work with the senior team to ensure legal compliance.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Act as general counsel for the business, and provide in-house legal advice to senior management team and others critical to the business.
- Lead in the review and negotiation of legal client contracts, contractor agreements and related documents, such as NDAs, addendums, amendments and sub-contractor agreements.
- Lead in managing TBC’s own legal template contracts.
- Create and implement a strategy to manage and company intellectual property.
- Keep up to date with relevant changes to commercial law and practice.
- Support HR in reviewing employment contracts and contractor agreements.
- Assist in other management projects and tasks as necessary
Skills and Attributes:
- Law degree with 5+ years post qualified experience
- Experience in overseeing commercial activities, including contract review and management, employment law, corporate governance and intellectual property.
- Self-sufficient with demonstrated skills in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in explaining complex legal issues to a non-technical audience.
- Flexible approach and a team player
- Pro-active, solutions-focussed approach
- Ability to work in French
- Understanding of employment or commercial law in France or another European country
- Understanding of GDPR
- Experience and understanding of UK employment law.
To apply, please send a covering letter and CV by email to:
Application deadline is Thursday 6 April 2023, early applications are encouraged.
The Biodiversity Consultancy is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes applications from all backgrounds.
We create strategic partnerships with like-minded individuals when we believe we will achieve more working together and we draw on our wider network of experts for specialist roles and projects. We would like to hear from experienced ecologists who understand the business context and can bring a species, habitat or sector specialism to our projects.
If would like to find out more about becoming an Associate Consultant of TBC, please send your CV and if relevant, a recent example of written work to email@example.com